Wednesday, January 14, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Shery Makes A One Layer Card Using A Creative Stenciling Technique


Hey there, STAMPlorations friends! I'm here with my first spotlight project post for the year :o). At the risk of sounding predictable, I've got a one layer card to share. I used a fun and creative stenciling technique -- one of my favorite techniques. You can see my card below -- it's pretty CAS but with a little bit of mixed media thrown in.


As a crafter, my favorite places to shop for supplies are home improvement stores like Lowe's and The Home Depot. They're my go-to places when I need to make my own wood and hardwood panels (they're cheaper and you can make any size you want!) and they're a treasure trove for mixed media supplies. In fact, I buy three of my favorite "art supplies" -- painter's tape, drywall tape, and sponge for inking -- from these places.

And so with some stamps (Sugar Rush and Hashtag Authentic), stencil (Bold Florals), inks, painter's tape, and drywall tape, here's how I made my card.



STEP 1
Create a frame on your card base using painter's tape.


STEP 2
Place the stencil over the card base and secure it with painter's tape. Then cut out strips of drywall tape and lay them over the stencil. 


STEP 3
Ink over the stencil and drywall tape. For my card, I sponged 3 different blues for the flowers (Broken China, Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire) and 2 different greens for the leaves (Peeled Paint, Pine Needles). I sponged the lightest colors first.  


STEP 4
Remove the drywall tape and sponge over the stencil with the light inks (Broken China and Peeled Paint). Then with a black marker (I used a black Japanese watercolor brush pen), loosely trace the outline of the flowers and leaves to create a hand-drawn look.


STEP 5
Carefully remove the stencil and painter's tape then stamp the sentiment. In my card, I stamped my sentiment in Jet Black archival ink and Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink. To finish, I used a corner rounder punch on one corner.

I thought about adding some splatters and decided not to at the last minute, as the blooms already have a textured look (thanks to the drywall tape).

With this fun and creative stenciling technique, you can create lots of CAS one layer cards with a little bit of mixed media thrown in. Use other colors, do away with the frame, and even experiment with other supplies (layering stencils, gesso, chalk inks, embossing, watercoloring).

Hope you enjoyed today's spotlight project! If you're inspired by my project and stenciling technique, I hope you'll share the projects you make. I would love to see them!




Supplies Shery used in today's project:

      preview-web-stencil-002-bold-florals.jpeg

Sugar Rush is the December 2014/January 2015 set in the STAMPlorations stamp club! We've got lots of perks, including a free 4" by 6" stamp set like Trendy Butterflies sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) to every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for January. We'll pick a commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on February 1!

33 comments:

  1. Lovely card and great technique...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I really like this. Great technique and I happen to have a roll of dry wall tape sitting in the CR!! I am getting out my paper now!! Game on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drywall tape...Best textured material out there!! Who knew?!!
    Really like this stencil Shery:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! What a cool technique. I want to try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card, great technique ... Must dash I need to find my stencils to have a go!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. Great idea with the drywall tape. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really an elegant creation using drywall tape, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this technique and the results you created with your gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your stenciled layering. So clever and pretty. TFS Shery

    ReplyDelete
  10. downright brilliant! Definitely going to do this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - I love this, this is in a word, GORGEOUS and so cool that you showed us how you achieved that monumentally cool look!! What fun - I was certainly treated to some creativity tonight!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whooooooooooo such effectiv and amazing...
    TFS CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ultra, fabulously, wonderfully cool, Shery! Drywall tape added to my wish list! I'll write you a proper note soon!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this technique, Shery! So much dimension, even for a one-layer card.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hearing all these 'trade secrets'. The texture adds so much but I would never have guessed how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely amazing card! Love the effect you achieved with the drywall tape! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, love this technique and will give t a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the colors and textures on this pretty floral card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous card! Love the colors and the mesh pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great card, I love the use of stuff from "home improvement" stores. That stuff gives me a feeling I am playing as an adult and not a kid, and you are like a "handy man" using inexpensive material for doing awesome stuff. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A really fun idea..I have some of that tape in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love this!! The texture is amazing. Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the card and the technique. What really made me go 'duh' is using a black pen to go around the stencil: make a stencil into a stamped image! Why didn't I think of that? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow Shery - how cool is that technique, lovely card too

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)