Thursday, July 10, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Craft Along with Monika as She Makes Acetate and Pop Art Cards


Hi, everybody! As you might already have noticed, here at STAMPlorations we have started a new feature this week, the Spotlight Project posts, where members of the design team focus on one of our stamp sets. Today, it's Monika's turn and that's me.

***We interrupt this programming post to bring you a special advisory.***

Sorry for briefly taking over your post, Monika. But this can't wait.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
(You're going to have to click on your party hat!)
***End special advisory.***

This month starting with today's post, my spotlight is on one of the very versatile STAMPlorations stamp sets called Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments that has a set of 4 image and 10 sentiment stamps. The sentiments have a great 3D look and can quite easily be combined with any of our stamp sets. The 4 boxed flower images are very versatile and suit many an occasion and style.

I made two cards plus two video tutorials for you. Both cards are very easy to make and showcase one of the image stamps - the daisy.

For the first card, I CASEd one of my own cards as you can see in the video. The video itself is of the craft-along type and explains how the layout of the card came together and how I worked my spacing of the elements. It is just over 15 minutes long and well worth watching.



All you need to make this card is of course the Boxed Blooms set, your white tent fold base card measuring 14.5 cm (H) x 10.5 cm (W) when folded, one piece of acetate 15.5 cm x 10.5 cm, VIGNETTE: Retro Mod Shapes, and inks.

I simply used a small square ink pad to directly stamp the yellow square onto my base card, I then stamped the pink, orange and red squares using the square stamp from the Retro Mod Shapes set before stamping my sentiment from the Boxed Bloom set in black Memento. Next, I stamped the daisy into position on the acetate using black StazOn ink. All that was left to do was to attach the acetate to my base card and add some gems to finish.

Unfortunately, I had to take my photos indoors today as it was raining heavily, sorry about the reflection of my light, but then that's acetate for you ... not always easy to photograph.

My second card is somewhat Pop Art inspired. I have used an easy colouring technique, one I haven't seen anyone else using before. This could be the premiere of Dye ink & Promarker colouring. Again I made a video tutorial to explain this technique with hints on how to choose the colours. The video is approximately 13 minutes long.





To make this card, you need the Boxed Blooms set; pink, orange, yellow, and green inks; matching Promarker colours; cool grey1 Promarker; 4 pieces of white card 5 cm square; one piece of black card 11 cm square; kraft base card 14 cm square when folded; one length of cotton packaging string; and black Memento ink.

First, I randomly coloured my string using my ink pads and left it to dry. Next, I coloured my squares by swiping my ink pads across them, one in each colour, before stamping the daisy in black. I then used the matching coloured Promarkers to colour the centers of the stamped daisies and the cool grey marker to add shading around the daisies (but still inside the box frame). I layered three of the squares onto the black card using 3D foam pads and glued the yellow one flat into place to add some interest and further dimension. I attached it all to my base card and finished off by tying my multi-coloured string in a knot around the top of my card.

These are only two examples of the fabulous cards you can make using the Boxed Bloom set. I shall be back in a couple of weeks with some more inspiration on how to use this set to make some stunning cards.

Until then, happy crafting!!! :-)

~ Monika


Stay tuned...we'll be back with another Spotlight Project on Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Really nice cards - great colors and CAS designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cards - they have wonderful color and awesome design elements!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Monika, I'm off to bike races with my husband, but had to pop in quickly to tell you: your cards are stunning! I'll be watching videos for sure!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)